Argentina is fondly remembered for its legendary player Diego Maradona. He captained the team that won the world’s most coveted tournament in 1986. Many soccer fans can recall his brilliant moves and the controversial goal in which it appeared like he scored by hand. He later denied ever using his hands claiming it was the hand of God.
Though the country has not won major trophies in recent years, it has won the World Cup twice. The first victory was in 1978 and it continues to produce talented players. Some of the notable players who have won an Argentina kit include Lionel Messi, the prolific midfielder who plays for FC Barcelona in Spain. The most capped player is Javier Zanetti. He has featured in the national team 145 times, while the all time top scorer is Gabriel Batistuta with 56 goals.
Here are other details about the team.
* The kit has made 15 appearances in the FIFA World Cup. During the finals of 1978, they were playing against the Netherlands. Mario Kempes put them ahead after 38 minutes. The Dutch leveled in the 82nd. During extra time, Mario Kempes scored the second before Daniel Bertoni added a third goal that signified a well deserved victory for the country.
* The second time where the Argentina kit was worn with pride was during the 1986 World Cup. All hope was on Diego Maradona, one of the greatest soccer players that the country has ever produced. After sailing through the group stages, it was during the quarter final game with England that propelled Maradona to fame. He scored with his left hand. More was yet to come with the “goal of the century” four minutes later. Maradona dribbled past 5 midfielders, went past England’s goalkeeper before scoring. The game ended 2-1 in favor of Argentina.
* The sky blue stripes and white kit was at it again in the semi final victory against Belgium. This paved the way for an exciting final against West Germany. The game went Argentina’s way through goals from Jose Luis Brown and Jorge Valdano. Germany fought back through Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Rudi Voller. Argentineans could not hide their joy when Jorge Burruchaga won the trophy for them with just over 7 minutes to go.
* Copa America is another tournament where the Argentinean national soccer team’s kit has shined. The country boasts 14 victories in this tournament.
* Initially the kit consisted of a white shirt, similarly colored shorts and black stockings. It was worn from 1901 to 1910. Since 1911 to the present time, the uniform has been white shirt with sky blue stripes, black shorts and white stockings. Next time you wear this outfit, you can walk with your head held high.
If you find the above article helpful and want to know more about an Argentina Kit. You can approach Soccer Jersey Shirt online for more details.
Be the first to like.